Kearns Top Tips for Landlords
Whether you’re thinking about becoming a landlord or you already own properties that you let out, follow these useful tips to help you on your way.
1. Protect the deposit – avoid a penalty of up to three times the value of the deposit by ensuring it is protected by the Deposit Protection Service. For more information visit www.depositprotection.com
2. Avoid the pitfall of a defective S.21 notice – ensure your dates and notice period are correct. For more information contact Kearns Solicitors on 02920 808666
3. Keep a log of requests for repairs and the work carried out – all too often we experience disrepair being raised by Tenants once a S.8 or S.21 Notice has been served. An accurate log of repairs is invaluable assistance in defending such a claim.
4. Keep an accurate schedule of payments and arrears – not only will this allow you to better track missed payments, it is the evidential basis of a claim for possession under S.8. “ fail to prepare a schedule, prepare to fail at trial.”
5. Be aware of the importance of screening checks – this applies to Letting Agents and Tenants. Always carry out checks via references, and testimonials. A quick check at the outset can avoid lengthy and costly proceedings in the long term.
For further tips advice and assistance call Kearns Solicitors on 02920 808666